Monday, August 12, 2019

My Dream Job

done Some of us come in to San Diego State University knowing exactly  what it is that we want to do when we graduate and some of us have no clue. That is perfectly fine. As for me, I knew long before I got here.

  When I graduate from this university my ultimate goal is to become a classroom music teacher at the high school level. I plan on returning ASAP to earn my masters degree and further my education, but that is still my end goal, to become a high school choir director.

I want to be a music teacher because I can’t see myself doing anything else and it honestly feels like my way of completing the circle of life. Also, my high school music classroom kept me out of a lot of trouble and became a safe place for me during a rough part of my life. I would love to be able to pay that forward.
In order to become a high school music teacher there are a couple different routes you can take. Music Education is in the field of Education Both require an education and a teaching credential which is essentially a year of unpaid student teaching. You could earn any bachelor’s degree, take and pass CSET in Music and earn your credential. Or you could earn a bachelor’s of music degree in music education here at SDSU which waves the CSET requirement and then earn your California teaching credential. I am going the second route.


When I finally become get my dream job as a high school choir director, I will have more responsibilities than simply fostering and nurturing growth and musicianship of the individuals in my class. Tony Mazzocchi says that great teachers connect to their students on an emotional level and that requires more than being a good musician. I will also be responsible for logistics and planning and for programming music for and executing a concert that both challenges and shows off my students capabilities while taking them on educational and cultural journey.  

A teacher works with other faculty and staff to create a positive learning environment for students. The average salary is $60,000 year. Starting salary in california is around $40,000 and pay increases with a masters degree. My dream school would be Turlock High School, where i attended school.a
You don’t make much money as a teacher, but if you’re in it for the money you won’t get far anyway. Teaching is something that takes big heart and passion. A good teacher is in it for the children

4 comments:

  1. Hi there! I love how passionate you are about music and paying it forward to become a teacher. This seems like such an amazing career. You seem very driven and determined to reaching your goal and having it all mapped out. My dad is also a high school teacher and like you said he is not in it for the money but for showing students their true potential. I wish you the best of luck in achieving your dream and the students will be lucky to have you as a music teacher!
    -Kelsey Martinez

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I think its so great that you want to work with high schoolers! I do too! Many people choose to become a teacher for a backup in like, but I think it's amazing how you have such a passion for music and students. You're very lucky that you can skip some of the standardized tests needed to become a teacher. I hope everything works out for you in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It’s cool how you found something that you are completely passionate about and stuck onto. I used to have a music teacher in high school who helped me get out of my shell more and become more comfortable with performing, making it much more fun. Having a teacher who actually loves what they are doing can really impact and influence the students so it’s great that you are really determined about it. Hope you are able to reach your goal and work at your dream school!
    - Samantha Sacro

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your story is so motivating! I love when someone has a passion and a goal and goes after it. Paying that forward by going back to teach high school is going to help the generation coming up. You are setting a good example and I condemn that! Good Luck with the rest of your education and endeavors!
    -Ahmed Fox

    ReplyDelete